Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease)
Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease are both extremely dangerous diseases. They refer to the weakening of the gum due to the build-up of bacteria along the gum lines. It swells up the gums and leads to loosening of its grip over the teeth. Gingivitis is the earlier, less lethal stage. If left untreated, it may become periodontal disease. People may even lose their teeth.
There are a few things we should know about this Gum Disease:
Causes of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal Disease is caused due to excessive building of bacteria. Thus,
- Hormonal changes, experts like Elite Dental suggest that hormonal changes during pregnancy, adolescence and menstruation can lead to increased susceptibility to Gum Disease.
- Increased plaque is one of the worst contributors to this disease. Plaque is like a sticky film attached that develops on your teeth and weakens the same by eating away.
- While this is mainly a lifestyle disease, certain illnesses like HIV, CANCER and even Genetics can make you more or less susceptible to the disease.
- Smoking and Drinking are also a big cause of Periodontal disease. Drinking causes “Dry Mouth” which is the low saliva content in the mouth. Thus, the protection accorded by saliva against the bacteria is no more available.
- Certain medications also cause these problems. The side effects of these medications include unwarranted growth of gum tissues.
The treatment of Gum Disease is very easy these days. It can be summarised in the following points:
- Good oral hygiene is a prerequisite for preventing these diseases. Thus, having a good oral and dental care regime encompassing brushing twice, using anti-plaque mouth wash and flossing, is of utmost importance.
- Dental visits are very important. Going to experienced and highly qualified dentists like Elite Dental is very important. This is because the regular check-ups and cleansing can guard against the development of plaque.
- Dental care requires a good diet. This includes leafy green vegetables, fibrous food and avoiding starchy, sugary foods are also necessary.
- At advanced stages of gum disease, the issues can be best solved with the help of expert medical treatment at Elite Dental.